We are ready for May 9. Police and activists continue reinforced patrols

Alla Marchenko

Odesa, May 6, 2015 – Alla Marchenko, a spokesman for Research Affairs of Ukraine in Odesa region  summed up the work of Police officers on May 1 and 2, as well as talked about the month of voluntary surrender of weapons in the city.

Speaker of MIA reported that the May holidays have passed without incident. On May 2, during the memorial service, were several attempts to outbreaks of conflict, but social activists and police officers extinguished them in time.


The order of these days provide more than 4 thousand policemen from Odesa and the region, 2 thousand law enforcement officers from other regions, 500 and 600 community activists from National Guard. They coped with their task in full.


Some employees already left for their places of permanent deployment. Some stayed to ensure order in the city on May 8 and 9. The issue of using on May 9 at Walk of Fame the metal frames is considered. In any case, on this day will be increased patrols and surveillance.


In Odesa continues reinforced patrolling by Police and community members. Please do not interfere with the event.


In April, in Odesa and the region took a month of the weapons voluntary surrender. It was handed over 180 units of hunting rifles, two grenades and shotguns, traumatic pistols, ammunition stores to vending machines.


Alla Marchenko gave an example of an index case, occurred in Suvorov district. There pensioner found a bag in a dumpster with three grenades and ammunition. Rather than call the Police, she pulled out a bag and brought it to the police station. All contents were serviceable and in fighting condition. The woman unknowingly endangered her own life and the lives of others.


In such situations, the Police insisted that we should not take dangerous objects and it is better to call to the place law enforcement officers.


Unrelated to any holidays or the Day of Mourning criminal case occurred on May 1 in Lvivska Street in Odesa. There squabbled two groups of young people. One of the participants of the conflict took out a gun and shot at his opponents. Three people are in hospital with gunshot wounds. One of them died today. The gunman was detained by Police. The investigation is underway. He faces imprisonment of up to 15 years in prison.